Go Back

3 Indoor Air Pollutants No One Wants in Their Home


3 Common Air Pollutants Every Homeowner Should Know

Indoor air quality is extremely important. Even homeowners who spend most of their daytime outside of the house come home to sleep at night, and if they have poor air quality, it could lead to several different physical side effects to them and their homes. There are three common pollutants that professionals typically find in homes, and they are all avoidable with a little extra care from the homeowner.

Below is more information regarding each of the three pollutants, including how harmful they are and how to avoid them. Homeowners should continue reading to help ensure their indoor air quality stays as healthy as possible.

excess moistureExcessive Moisture in the Home

High levels of humidity can lead to excessive moisture in the home but so can other things, like leaks in the roof or foundation of the house, cracks in window seals, and simply leaving windows open while it’s raining or on a humid day.

Whatever the case may be, a home with excessive moisture for extended periods of time can lead to decreased indoor air quality. One of the most common pollutants resulting from excessive moisture in the home is mildew and mold growth.

Once mold growth begins, the homeowner will have to take extra steps to ensure the mold is not only eradicated but doesn’t return in the future. The best way to reduce excessive moisture in the home and prevent air pollutants from growing is by installing a dehumidifier. When doing so, homeowners don’t even have to worry about the moisture levels in their homes. As long as they take care of their dehumidifier, their home shouldn’t have any moisture issues!

Volatile Organic Compounds (VOCs)


Volatile Organic Compounds (VOCs) are industrial solvents, for the most part. Things like:

  • Paint thinners
  • Petroleum fuels
  • Hydraulic fluids
  • Dry cleaning agents

All have VOCs present and are harmful to humans when breathed in for too long. It is always important to use these products with caution and in well-ventilated areas. The best way to get this out of the home is to leave the windows open until the house is cleared.

When breathed in for too long, VOCs can cause people to feel lightheaded and dizzy, along with more severe symptoms. Cleansing the air as soon as possible is crucial and normally doesn’t even need the help of a professional.

Carbon Monoxide Leak

A carbon monoxide leak is a danger to not only the home but those living in the house. This is an air pollutant that can cause carbon monoxide poisoning in a matter of an hour or two. When a gas leak occurs, or symptoms of poisoning show up, like vomiting, severe fatigue, and loss of consciousness, it is crucial that the family gets out into fresh oxygen air as soon as possible. They must also get far away from the home until help arrives because gas leaks could lead to house fires in no time at all.

Anyone suffering from poisoning will have to go to a hospital for proper treatment. Some signs of a gas leak in the home are:

  • Dead houseplants
  • A gas stove that won’t light or has a yellow/orange pilot light
  • A whistling noise near the gas line
  • White dust near the gas line
  • Those in the home feeling dizzy, lightheaded, confused, coughing, or breathing issues

Some air pollutants are more dangerous than others, but all require immediate action to ensure the health and safety of those in the home. It is important to call a trusted professional when homeowners suspect poor indoor air quality.

Paul The Plumber Can Help!

When Derry, NH homeowners have problems with their air quality, they call Paul The Plumber to eradicate the issue, no questions asked. This company has a two-year part and labor warranty on all of their work because they know they get any job done right the first time. There’s no time to waste- call now for air quality services!